About Me

My photo
Harrisonburg, Virginia, United States
Professor of Saxophone, James Madison University

Saturday, January 25, 2020

Things That Your Father Knew But Didn't Teach You

As a middle-aged man, I have discovered many things about life that I know that my father knew, but he didn't teach me because the world was changing.  Luckily, I remember watching my dad do many of these things.  His lifestyle, at least when I was a child, was much more connected to a sustainable way of being.  The world moved towards a "modern" way of convenience and disposable goods, but I have slowly remembered that there is a better way.


  • shaving
Around ten years ago, I stopped using disposable razors.  I remember watching my dad whisk up a mug of shaving soap with a boar brush.  Before he switched to an electric razor, he used a double-edged safety razor.  I have a synthetic brush and a heavy duty, brass safety razor from West Coast Shaving.  A skinny little blade lasts a week (more if you don't shave every day or are willing to risk getting a little burned when it finally goes dull), and I dispose of a can of used blades every 5 years or so.  The brush also exfoliates the skin, and a tin of soap lasts many months.  I even reuse the tins to hold old screws, fountain pen nibs, etc.








  • welted shoes
Quality men's shoes are NOT disposable.  High quality, goodyear welted shoes, when properly cared for, will last a decade or more.  I started buying shoes from Allen Edmonds around 5 years ago.  I brush them after wear with a horsehair brush and occasionally clean them with saddle soap or a leather lotion.  You can buy them on sale for around $200.  New heels cost $50, and new leather soles are around $100.  Unlike cheap, disposable shoes, Allen Edmonds get BETTER with age.  They form to your feet and the full grain leather becomes more comfortable and beautiful with age.  There are also vegetable tanned leathers that are vastly better for the environment.  Horween Dublin is one of my favorites, and shell cordovan, while more expensive, will probably outlive YOU.  Good shoes are expensive, but they save money in the long run, so watch for sales and clearance items.  Store them with cedar shoe trees to keep them dry and fragrant.


  • handkerchiefs
Carry one in your pocket.  Wipe the sweat from your brow.  Clean your glasses.  Mop up a little spill.  Throw them in the wash and reuse for years.  They practically last forever.















  • mechanical watches
You wind them up and they run without disposable batteries.  They are super cool.  You look like a true gentleman when you pull up your shirt cuff, or better yet, when you reveal that stylish pocket watch . . . groovy fob is optional.














  • fountain pens
Pens don't have to be disposable.  They can be stylish and fun.  They can make a statement.  A bottle of ink can last for years, and the bottles can be reused when they are empty.  You can also work on your penmanship, which is sure to start a conversation.  You could even learn to write with your opposite hand, or at least I have heard.







  • clothing brush
Frequent dry cleaning of your dressy clothes will ruin them before their time.  After wearing, a good brushing with a decent garment brush will clean and restore your quality garments.  This is especially true with wool sport coats, suits, and pants.  Your clothes will last longer, look better, and you will save money on unnecessary cleaning bills.

These are just a few of the things that gentlemen used to know, but somehow we forgot along the way.  I'm glad that I remembered.  All these things are better for the earth, but they also make life a lot more enjoyable.  Live well!

No comments:

Post a Comment